We love this recipe for a quick, cheap, and easy meal. It's very versatile as you can add in really any vegetable that your family likes. I like to make this meal meatless, but you can add cooked chicken or even a rotisserie chicken to the bake to make it more hearty.
Cheesy Rice, Bean, and Veggie Bake
Prep Time: 30 min | Cook Time: 20 min | Serves: 6-8
2 cups brown rice
1 3/4 cup vegetable or chicken broth
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup diced onion
1 medium zucchini , chopped
1 cup chopped broccoli
1 cup chopped carrots
2 (15 oz) can black beans
1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 cups cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350* F. Prepare the rice according to the box directions, using the broth in place of water.
2. Heat oil in large skillet on stove. When hot, add onions and sauté until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Add in the rest of the ingredients (except cheese): zucchini, broccoli, carrots, black beans (drained and rinsed), green chiles, cumin, salt and pepper.
4. Cook until warmed through, about 6-8 minutes. Stir occasionally.
5. When rice is done, add rice and 1 cup cheese into veggie skillet. Stir and combine.
6. Transfer skillet contents to greased 9x13 dish. Top with remaining cheese.
7. Bake uncovered until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 15-20 minutes.